“Somehow every chef seems to crave ribs and chips. This is student Cara Conway’s mom’s speciality and the only way to describe Cara’s meal is flavoursome, succulent, yummy… seriously good!”
— Jackie Cameron
Cara’s Moms Ribs and Chips
- 1 large Rack of Ribs, plain and unsmoked
- 30ml Rio Largo Olive Oil
- 2 (425gr) Onions, finely chopped
- 5 (30gr) Fresh Garlic, finely grated
- 30ml Fresh Ginger, finely grated
- 20ml Masala
- 250ml Beef or Chicken Stock
- 100gr Brown Sugar
- 125ml Mrs Balls Chutney
- 250ml Smooth Apricot Jam
- 30ml Honey
- 50ml Lemon Juice
- 50ml Tomato Sauce
- 15ml Worcestershire Sauce
- 5ml Fine ORYX Salt
- 30ml Soy Sauce
- Pre–Heat the oven to 180°C.
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil. Sauté the onions with the garlic, ginger and masala.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Pour the marinade over the ribs and bake in the oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove the ribs form the oven, mix around, turn the oven grill on and place the ribs back in the oven to grill for a few minutes to get a nice colour. Cut before serving.
- 5 large (1030gr) Potatoes
- Sunflower Oil, for frying
- Peel and cut the potatoes into chip size cuts.
- Rinse them well under cold water, this is to prevent them from sticking together when frying.
- Heat the oil in a pot, when ready and hot, fry the potatoes in batches, being careful not to overload your pot. Cook until the potatoes is cooked right through, crispy on the outside and have golden in colour.