“Cheese straws… You haven’t tasted a ‘real’ cheese straw until you have made these. They are seriously cheesy with a slight touch of spicy heat.”
— Jackie Cameron
Makes: about 40 straws
- 30ml Gorgonzola Cheese, crumbled
- 80gr Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 100gr Parmesan / Pecorino Cheese, finely grated
- 140gr CHAMPAGNE VALLEY STONEMILL Cake Flour
- 5ml Durban Masala or Paprika
- 2.5ml freshly ground Black Pepper
- 100gr Salted Butter
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 30ml Water
- Preheat the oven to 220⁰C. Line a tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Using your fingertips, mix all the cheeses together. Then add the flour, masala, salt and pepper. Rub in the butter and then add the egg yolk. Bring this all together with a few drops of water to form a dough.
- Roll the dough onto a floured surface and cut out the straws into desired sizes. I make mine ½ cm high, 10cm longs and 1cm wide.
- Place the straws onto the baking tray and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. These freeze well before cooked. Simple defrost and bake.