“My first lesson was for a prince. What a lovely man. He gifted me with a few treasured books and DVDs on Saudi Arabia. The true treat, however, was an elegantly-packaged box filled with Bateel, gourmet Arabian dates, each filled with interesting combinations. Think a ginger date, a pecan-nut date and a candied-orange date – each as delicious as the other.”
— Jackie Cameron
- 250ml Dried Dates, chopped
- 250ml Semolina
- 62.5ml Desiccated Coconut
- 125ml Sunflower Oil
- 45ml Cake Flour
- 30ml Milk Powder
- 2 Eggs
- 5ml Baking Powder
- 15ml Hubba Soda (which is a sugar stock, this is made with equal parts sugar and water, that get cooked till syrupy)
- 15ml White Sesame Seeds
- Mix all the ingredients together, except for the hubba soda and the sesame seeds.
- Place the mixture into greased moulds, only fill them ¾ full.
- Mix the hubba soda and the sesame seeds together, spread a little bit on top of each mould.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for about 15 minutes.
- When cooked remove from the moulds and allow to cool.