“Student Kate Cousins’ lemon-curd-drenched-vanilla-bean cake topped with an Italian-meringue creation is one of a kind. It’s what decadent dreams are made of. We all got through the rest of the afternoon on a complete sugar high! Who says lunch needs to be savoury?”
— Jackie Cameron
Kates’ Lemon Meringue Cake
Serves 6-8 slices
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 250gr Castor Sugar
- 280gr Cake Flour
- 15ml Baking Powder
- 250ml Full Cream Milk
- 100gr Salted Butter
- 5ml Vanilla Extract
- 1 Lemon – zest
- Grease and line an 18cm spring form cake tin.
- Pre–Heat oven to 180°C.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar together, until light and creamy.
- Add the flour and baking powder.
- Heat the milk and butter together, do not boil. Fold into the flour mixture with the vanilla extract and lemon.
- Place the batter into the cake tin, and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked.
- When cooked remove from the cake tin and allow to cool completely.
Lemon Curd Ingredients:
- 150gr Castor Sugar
- 4whole Eggs
- 4 Lemon – juiced and zest
- 120gr Salted Butter, cold and cut in blocks
- Whisk the sugar, eggs, lemon juice and zest together, over a double boiler, until it gets thick.
- Whisking the whole time add the butter slowly, a few blocks at a time. Keep whisking until the curd is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Allow the curd to cool, on an ice bath.
Italian Meringue Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup White Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- Pinch Fine ORYX Salt
- 3 Egg Whites
- 30ml White Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- Place the 2/3 cup sugar, water and salt in a saucepan, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Using a thermometer heat to 115°C.
- In a mixing machine bowl, place the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar, start whisking when the sugar reaches 112°C to stiff peak.
- When the sugar reaches 115°C, and the egg whites are at stiff peak, very slowly start adding the sugar syrup to the egg whites, pouring it in a thin stream on the side of the bowl, whisking continuously. Whisk until the outside of the bowl is cool, the mixture will have a smooth and glossy appearance.
Icing of cake:
- Cut the cake into half to have two layers, place the lemon curd in the middle layer.
- Ice the cake with the Italian meringue around, making swirl patterns as you ice. Do this effect with a palette knife or a teaspoon.
- Just before serving blowtorch the cake all around.