“This tasty treat is biscuit based with a jam layer, topped with coconut meringue. Our Granny Dot used to have a supply in her kitchen cupboard for us girls. When Sheldeen knew she was visiting earlier this month, maid-of-honour biscuits were included in her home-food request. Her kitchen tea was kept a surprise but I granted her wish and hid them in a ‘safe’ place. Safe? How wrong I was! She found the decadent delights and started nibbling on them days before her kitchen tea.”
— Jackie Cameron
Makes: 1 tray, 33 X 23cm
- 120gr Salted Butter, soft
- 90gr Castor Sugar
- 3 Egg – Yolks (keep the whites aside for later use)
- 30ml Full Cream Milk
- 5ml (6gr) Baking Powder
- Pinch Fine Salt
- 200gr Cake Flour
- Pre–Heat the oven to 180⁰C. Line and grease the baking tray.
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the egg yolks and milk and combine well.
- Sift the baking powder, salt and flour together, add to the egg mixture.
- Spread the mixture out onto the baking tray, creating a smooth and even layer. Set aside.
- 250ml Smooth Apricot Jam
- 3 Egg – Whites
- 250ml (228gr) White Sugar
- 250ml (78gr) Desiccated Coconut
- Spread the jam over the biscuit base layer, evenly and smoothly. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peak, slowly add the sugar, continuously whisking.
- Fold in the desiccated coconut. Spread this mixture out on top of the jam.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until cooked. Remove from the oven, allow complete cooling and then cut into blocks and serve.