Keeping the kiddies entertained during their school holidays, the SIbalicious way!
3rd of our 3-part recipe series- Cooking with Kids, compliments of @sibamtongana
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Freezing time: 2 hours
- ½ watermelon, sliced across section
- A bunch each of red and green grapes plus extra
- 2 whole pineapples, peeled and removed
- 3 bananas, peeled and halved
- 100 g dark chocolate, melted
- Cookie cutters
- Wooden sticks
- Prepare two baking trays and line them with baking or parchment paper.
- For the watermelon, cut it across section to make it into thick slices. Cut into star and other various shapes using a cookie cutter of your choice. Thread a skewer on each and place on a tray.
- For the grapes, thread on different colours on wooden skewers until just over a halfway through. Place on a baking tray too.
- For the pineapples, cut it into slices and cut into various shapes, stick a skewer on each and place in the lined baking tray as well.
- For the bananas stick the flat side of the halved banana with the wooden skewer and place on the prepared tray. Freeze these for 2 hours, dip the frozen bananas in melted chocolate and allow the chocolate to set.
- Place in a dished filled with styrofoam. Insert the skewers so it stands up. Cover the styrofoam with the extra grapes.
If you don’t have time to freeze the fruits it’s okay as the watermelon, grapes and pineapples do not have to be frozen, they can be used simple cut into shapes. Only the banana needs to be frozen so that the melted chocolate sticks on it well without it being messy.